Thursday, February 28, 2008

Darwin



And the Winner Is...


Darwin is the name for our new ferret.


Darwin was the functional name of our pet while we waited for the survey results here and on Sara's myspace account. Of course we took other factors into consideration, but the poll was helpful.


Darwin is a lot of work. He has ear mites along with an intestinal parasite that requires twice-a-day medication by mouth. Other treatments are not appropriate for the public record. He is growing, and he is growing on me. Though he is yet a kit and is fond of nipping toes and other digits, he is also quite affectionate. When he wakes up he enjoys having his belly rubbed, and when he tires out from play, he will cuddle up for a nap in one's lap.


Why was Darwin one of our options? As is already known, I am fond of Charles Darwin, one of the early advocates for the theory of biological evolution. The theory of evolution boasts explanatory abilities unrivaled by any competing model, especially the various ideologies of "biblical" creationism.


Though for years I resisted the overwhelming logic of evolution, I kept my logic subdued by my affections for King James and the pantheon Morris, Ham, RATE, and Humphreys. The maturing and refining of my applied biblical hermeneutics coupled with a developed yet growing knowledge of science eventually won over this idolatry allowing me to forgo commitments to intentional ignorance. Now the god of my affections is she who is yet a product of homid evolution and best revealed in the script of nature. As much as humanity needs her for existence, she also needs humanity.


Darwin, as one of the early popularizers of the theory of biological evolution, and as an icon representative of the intellectual liberation experienced in the shadow of this theory, is an appropriate name for my pet.

3 comments:

Atheist Okie said...

This past weekend we went to the OKC book fair at the State Fair park. I purchased my own weight in books. Among them I picked up a copy of George Gaylord Simpson's "The Book of Darwin".

I also picked up Carl Sagan's "The Dragons of Eden," among a few other gems.

PeterS said...

Hello Jamie,
Let me know how the Book of Darwin turns out. I have neither read nor heard of this. I have read little of Sagan. Where Sagan ‘s focus is the cosmos (in general), Stephen J. Gould’s focus is biology. I deem the two of them to have maintained a similar tenure relative to the propagation of science. Let me know of Sagan’s dragons.

Atheist Okie said...

Yes, I will let you know of both. It may be a while, though, as I am diving head first into some math and physics books. I would like to go back to school in the fall and major in physics.

Right now, my favorite book of all time is Sagan's "The Demon-Haunted World." By reading it you can tell it has that 80's decade feel, but a great book for the time, and even now. I especially like his chapter on the Bologna Detection Kit. Only if high schools would have a class on logic and critical thinking skills.

Oh... and Pat Condell. He is no philosopher or theologian, only a comedian, but he still brings up some interesting points. His campy arguments strike me as the honest Everyman trying to figure out the universe, but with some obvious frustration, dare I say resentment, towards Christianity. He typifies the Angry Atheist. But rightly so, as many ex-Christians deal with "Buyers Remorse" usually right after they deconvert. I have gone through much of the same thing. The Angry Atheist isn't so much a matter of extremism or fundamentalism as some claim, only the natural response in the stages of grief as many of us really feel we lost someone (or some One) that meant the world to us. If more Christians understood this, maybe they wouldn't be so apt to judge and smear ex-believers.