Sunday, September 30, 2012

Shame



This is currently stationed in the Keller Lounge at my church as an entry in Grand Rapids' Art Prize.  In fairness to the artist, I will add the artist's placard after next Sunday.  I did not think to take a picture of it yesterday.

I see the relationship between the church and members of the LGBTQ community to be parallel to the early church's relationship between its founding Jewish members and the non-Jews.  A pressing question in the early church was, "Do non-Jews have to convert to Judaism before entering the church?"  Are non-Jews permitted to retain their distinctive cultures and practices as members of the church?  Similar questions can be asked about the relationship between LGBTQ peoples and the church.


My experience with LGBTQ peoples has been formative in my understanding sexual identity.  In particular, a former pastor at Fountain Street, a partnered gay man, dramatically illustrated to me that it is possible to live out a deeply authentic multi-spiritual identity (he utilized practices and disciplines from Judaism, Catholicism, etc.) as a self-identified gay person.

No comments: